.htaccess is a file not an extension. This file is used to take on actions in the directory it is placed in via famous server called Apache web server. It provides various facilities including redirect functionality, if error 404 doesn\'t work then provides error document and password protection.
Example of a .htaccess file
- AuthName \"Feed any member\'s name\"
- AuthUserFile /path/to/password/file/.htpasswd
- AuthType Basic
- require valid-user
- ErrorDocument 401 /error_pages/401.html
- AddHandler server-parsed .html
How to use it:
- Create a .htaccess file.
- Upload the file in ASCII mode.
- Upload the file in the directory which you want it to take over.