A feed contains a list of items or entries, each of which is identified by a link. Each item can have any amount of metadata associated with it .
RSS feeds can be subscribed using "RSS Software" which can be installed in the subscriber's/user's electronic device. This enables the users to obtain contents and update thereof without actually loading the website on user's device.
<item> <title>r4r History</title> <link>http://www.r4r.co.in/history</link> <description>-------Content----------</description> </item>
There are generally three types of feed
- RSS 0.91
- RSS 0.92
- RSS 2.0 .
There are several means to generate RSS feeds.
- Using the RSS library of PHP. A PHP script will build the XML file from titles and descriptions of pages from the content of a page.
- Use a specialized tool to extract the data from a page.
<a type="application/rss+xml" href="http://www.r4r.co.in/rss.xml"> RSS feeds </a>
There are a lot of different RSS readers available. Some work as web services, and some are limited to windows (or Mac, PDA or UNIX). Here are a few, which you can try:
- RssReader - A free Windows-based RSS reader . It is Simple, straightforward feed reader that easily handles large number of feeds and Supports RSS versions 0.9x, 1.0, and 2.0, and Atom 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3.
- FeedDemon -Windows-based RSS reader. Supports RSS versions 0.9x, 1.0 and 2.0 and Atom 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3.
- blogbotrss - An RSS reader plug-in for Outlook or Internet Explorer. The light-version for Internet Explorer is free.
There are some steps wich helps you to published your RSS file onb the web.
- Create your RSS Feed in a text file Note: file must have an .xml extension.
- Validate your RSS file before making it live.
- Upload the RSS file to your web directory on your web server.
- Copy the little coloured RSS or XML button which is created by you to your web directory.
- Put the little coloured "RSS" or "XML" button on the page where you will offer RSS to the world (e.g. on your home page). Then add a link to the button that links to the RSS file.
- Submit your RSS feed to the RSS Feed Directories
- Register your feed with the major search engines:
- Google - http://www.google.com/submityourcontent/website-owner
- Bing - http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url
- Update your feed - After registering your RSS feed, you must make sure that you update your content frequently and that your RSS feed is constantly available.