Php means Preprocessor Hypertext. PHP is a server side scripting language, widely used in internet programming. We can develop pages with dynamic content by using PHP. By using PHP we can interact with different database servers (like: MySQL, Sybase, Oracle and many others) and manage the page content accordingly.
PHP is free and is an open source software product. It runs on different platforms (Unix, Linux, Windows).
Uses of PHP:
- PHP performs system functions, i.e. from files on a system it can create, open, read, write, and close them.
- PHP can handle forms, i.e. gather data from files, save data to a file, thru email you can send data, return data to the user.
- You add, delete, modify elements within your database through PHP.
- Access cookies variables and set cookies.
- Using PHP, you can restrict users to access some pages of your website.
- It can encrypt data.
Characteristics of PHP:Five important characteristics make PHP's practical nature possible: