R4R provide basic Silverlight Tutorials concept with
Silverlight Examples .
Through R4R you can develop Silverlight programming concept. R4R provide
Silverlight Interview Questions with answers.R4R provide
Silverlight Languages study materials in easy way.
Introduction Of SilverLight:
- Silverlight is a powerful cross-browser & cross-platform technology for
building the next generation web experience & rich internet applications for
- Silverlight applications are delivered to a browser in a text-based markup
language called XAML. XAML is a declarative markup language that you can use
to define the UI elements for your Silverlight-based application.
- Silverlight is considered as a competitor to Adobe's flash technology.
- One of the design goals of the Silverlight technology is to fill the gap
between windows application and web application in terms of creating Graphical
User Interface (GUI). So far web developers were not able to make client happy
in terms of UI, but now web developer will be able to full fill this with the
help of Silverlight technology.
- You can run Silverlight in most of all the popular browsers like Internet
Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc. Silverlight can run in various devices
and operating systems like Windows, Apple Mac OS-X and Windows Phone 7.
- Using Silverlight you can create rich, visually stunning web applications
like flash. Also you can create smooth animations using Storyboards; you can
stream media over the net etc.
- Silverlight web browser plug-in comes as free to install (approximately
4-5 MB in size). You can download the required plug-in from Microsoft
Architecture Of Silverlight:
Silver light architecture as a combination of four important blocks:-
â€¢ Some .NET framework components: - Silver light uses some components from .NET
framework. One of the main components is WPF. Many of the UI components ( check
box , buttons , text boxes etc) , XAML parsing etc are taken from the core WPF
system. It also has taken components like WCF to simplify data access. It also
have CLR for memory management, safety checking and garbage collection. The base
class libraries of Net are used for string manipulations, algorithms,
expressions, collections and globalization.
â€¢ Presentation core: - The core presentation framework has functionalities to
display vector 2d animations, images, media, DRM and handle inputs like mouse
â€¢ Other technologies: - Silver light interacts with other technologies like Ajax
â€¢ Hosting: - Silver light animations finally run under the browser environment.
So it has a the hosting functionality which helps to host the application the
components and it also has a installer functionality which helps to install
silver light application and plug-in in the browser environment.
One of the things which you can notice from the architecture diagram is that the
presentation core reads from the XAML file for rendering. The XAML is a
component which is a part of the .NET framework and the rendering part is done
by the presentation core.
Support of .NET framework - if you are already .NET developer it is easy to
start programming on Silverlight.
Support of Managed code - you can write programming in your favorite
language which .NET CLR supports like C#,VB.NET, Dynamic
Better development tools -Visual Studio 2010, Expression Blend.
Large community- available lot of learning resource as compare to Flash
Integration with Enterprise based technologies like WPF, LINQ etc...
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLING
SILVERLIGHT SDK FOR DEVELOPMENT IS AS FOLLOWS:
If you are a developer and want to start working on it, you must need the
following environment to install the Silverlight tools.
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher
Studio 2008 SP1 (for Silverlight 3)
Studio 2010 (for Silverlight 3 & Silverlight 4)
Microsoft Expression Blend 3 (for Silverlight 3)
Microsoft Expression Blend 4 (for Silverlight 3 & Silverlight 4)
Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1
Silverlight 4 Tools for Visual Studio 2010
How Silverlight would
change the Web:
- Highest Quality Video Experience :
prepare to see some of
the best quality videos you have seen in your life, all embedded in highly
graphical websites. The same research and technology that was used for VC-1,
the codec that powers BluRay and HD DVD, is used by Microsoft today with its
streaming media technologies.
- Cross-Platform, Cross-Browser :
Finally build web
applications that work on any browser, and on any operating system. At
release, Silverlight will work with Mac as well as Windows! The Mono project
has also already promised support for Linux!.
- Developers and Graphic Designers can play together! :
Developers familiar with Visual Studio, Microsoft.net will be able to develop
amazing Silverlight applications very quickly, and they will work on Mac's and
Windows. Developers will finally be able to strictly focus on the back end of
the application core, while leaving the visuals to the Graphic Design team
using the power of XAML.
- Cheaper : Silverlight is now the most inexpensive way to
stream video files over the internet at the best quality possible. Licensing
is dead simple, all you need is IIS in Windows Server, and youâ€™re done.
- Support for 3rd Party Languages : Using the power of the
new Dynamic Language Runtime, developers will now be able to use Ruby, Python,
and EcmaScript! This means a Ruby developer can develop Silverlight
applications, and leverage the .net Framework!
- Cross-Platform, Cross-Browser Remote Debugging : If you
are in the need to debug an application running on a Mac, no problem! You can
now set breakpoints, step into/over code, have immediate windows, and all that
other good stuff that Visual Studio provides.
- The best development environment on the planet :
Studio is an award winning development platform! As it continues to constantly
evolve, so will Silverlight!
- Silverlight offers copy protection : Have you noticed how
easy it is to download YouTube videos to your computer, and save them for
later viewing ? Silverlight will finally have the features enabling content
providers complete control over their rich media content! Streaming
television, new indie broadcast stations, all will now be possible!
- Extreme Speed :There is a dramatic improvement in speed
for AJAX-enabled websites that begin to use Silverlight, leveraging the
Microsoft .net framework
Difference Between Silverlight and
The Rich Internet Application (RIA) analysis shows a strong preference for
AJAX at 58%.AJAX frameworks have for a long time been strong in the open source
community. However, the analysis segmented the MicroSoft Windows-only users and found 92%
do not use or intend to use Silverlight, 52% want AJAX and 24% Flex.
Benefits of Silverlight
- Silverlight offers cross-domain support for applications
- Silverlight plugin is just a 1MB download and is supported in windows XP and
- Silverlight also has a browser plugin but still needs to reach at pace with
- supports asynchronous calls
Benefits of Ajax:
- Ajax is absed on open standards so widely accepted and supported.
- Bandwidth usage of web is less as specfic demands are accomplished.
- Works with Flash and Flex
- Key component of Web2.0 apps
- Benefits of regular web apps like low cost etc.
- Supports asynchronous calls
Disadvantages of Ajax:
compatibility that is what might work on one browser might not work on another
browser which makes the debugging difficult.
Benefits of Flash / Flex:
- Flash actually has the power of animation
- The flash player used to run the Falsh/ Flex apps are installed in about a
- Flash is a multi-platform application that will appear the same on all
browsers and platforms as long as its plug-in has be downloaded.
- Flash should be used when the primary goal is visual effects to the users but
if looking forward to earn potential customers then it should be limited.
Show All Comments