- Java is an object oriented programming language was developed by SUN MICRO SYSTEM INC 1991.
- Java is a high-level, third generation programming language, like c, fortran, Smalltalk, Perl, and many others.
- Java was developed on consumer electronics device but later it was shifted on internet, Now java becomes widely used of programming language for the internet.
- The first public available version of Java (Java 1.0) was released 1995. Over time several version of Java were released which enhanced the language and its libraries.
- The current version of Java is Java SE 9 .
- The main components of java language are compiler java virtual machine and Java class libraries.
- Java is a platform independent language (Machine independent), A java program can write once and run on any hardware and any operating system on the jvm (java virtual machine) installed platforms.
- Java was developed by five programmers Patric Naughton, Chris Worth, Mike Sheridan, Ed. Frank, James Gosling is the father of java developer .java old name was "oak" but it was renamed in "java" as 1995. Java was developed in 1991 SUN MICRO SYSTEM INC Jan 2010 take over of ORACLE CORPORATION.
- The history of java starts from Green Team. Java team members also known as Green Team.
- Java was developed on consumer electronics device such as set-top boxes, microwave, televisions etc. but later it was shifted on internet
- Now java becomes widely used of programming language for the internet Currently, Java is used in internet programming, mobile devices, games, e-business solutions etc.
- James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991.
- The small team of sun engineers called Green Team. Firstly, it was called Greentalk by James Gosling and file extension was .gt. After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project. Oak is a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania etc. java old name was "oak" but it was renamed in "java" as 1995.
- First of all language BCPL (Basic Combined Programming Language )was developed by Martin Richards in 1967, then B language was developed by Ken Thompson in 1970, After few year C language was developed By Dennis Ritchie in 1972.
- C language is a procedural as well as structured programming language. Procedural means sequence (step-by-step), selection (condition), iteration (looping). Structured means a large program divide into small modules .
- C language is not suitable fore large programs due to lacks some tools (class, object, inheritance, polymorphism etc).
- Then c++ is increment of c language and some new features is added in C++, C++ was developed by B'jarne Stroustroup in early 1980's.
- C++ is also an object oriented programming language such as some tools (class , object ,inheritance ,polymorphism etc). Old name was c with classes but it was renamed in c++ in 1983.
- All the four languages belongs AMERICAN TELEGRAPHY TELECOMMUNICATION (AT&T) Bell Laboratories in New Jercy's USA.
There are many java versions that has been released. Current stable release of Java is Java SE 8.
- JDK Alpha and Beta (1995)
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)
- J2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)
- Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)
- Java SE 8 (18th March, 2014)
- Java SE 9 (21th October ,2017)
- Java SE 9.0. (17th Nov, 2017)
- Java SE 9.0.4 (16th Jan, 2018)
From c java derives (receive) its syntax. From c++ java derives (receive) Object Oriented Features. java was not designed to replace to c++. java is not increment or upgrade version of c++.Much of the character of Java is inherited from these two languages.